Sativa Seeds – Lettuce Little Gem green – 500 grams (GMO-FREE DECLARATION)
Germination Rate: 98%
Little Gem lettuce was developed in Italy in the late 1960s and early 1970s. It was first introduced to the market in the 1980s. It is a hybrid between Parris Island romaine lettuce and Boston butterhead lettuce. The goal of the breeding program was to develop a compact, high-yielding, and disease-resistant lettuce variety. It quickly became popular due to its small size, crisp texture, and sweet flavor. Little Gem lettuce is now grown worldwide and can be available year-round.
Little Gem lettuce was introduced to the market and quickly became a popular variety among both commercial growers and home gardeners. It is known for its mild sweet flavor, crisp texture, and ability to tolerate hot weather.
Little Gem lettuce is a loose-headed lettuce variety, meaning the leaves form a head that resembles butterhead lettuce. The leaves are dark green and have a non-wavy margin. Heads are typically 5-7 inches in diameter and weigh 1-1.5 pounds. Little Gem is a relatively slow-bolting variety, meaning it does not go to seed as quickly as some other lettuce varieties. This makes it ideal for production in both spring and fall.
Little Gem lettuce, sometimes referred to as Baby Gem lettuce, is a small variety that is quickly gaining the popularity it deserves. The gorgeous little heads of lettuce are the perfect size for snacking, making salads, and adding a little crunch to your dinner table.
Little Gem is a popular variety among both commercial growers and home gardeners. It is known for its mild sweet flavor, crisp texture, and ability to tolerate hot weather.
Little Gem lettuce is very similar to a small romaine lettuce, with an average height of 20-25 cm and an average width of 7.5-10 cm. However, unlike romaine lettuce, this variety does not tend to be bitter, but rather picks up a bit of the sweetness of butterhead lettuce. The leaves are dark green on top, with a pale green center, similar to those found in romaine lettuce hearts.
Little Gem lettuce requires full sun and is tolerant of high temperatures. Early spring or late summer is the best time to plant.
This variety is not registered in the EU list as Little Gem and is simply indicative of the type.
- Minimum germination temperature: 5°C.
- Days to germinate: 6-8 days.
- Seed quantity per acre: 1.5 kg/acre.
- Sowing Depth: 1 cm.
- Distance between rows: 40 cm.
- Distance between plants on the row: 25 cm.
Sowing and Growing
Little Gem lettuce prefers well-drained soil and partial to full sun. Choose a location that receives at least 4-6 hours of sunlight per day.
Little Gem lettuce is very similar to baby romaine lettuce, with an average height of 20 to 25 cm and an average width of 7.5 cm to 10 cm. However, unlike romaine, this type does not tend to be bitter but rather picks up a bit of sweetness. Butterhead lettuce.
Sowing and cultivation:
Germination directly in soil (open field)
If you sow seeds directly in the open field, you will need a seed stock of about 1.5 kg/acre.
- The minimum temperature for germination is 5 degrees Celsius,
- The days of germination are 6-8 days.
- Seeding depth: 1 cm
- Sowing distance between rows: 40 cm
- Sowing distance on the row: 25 cm
Germination in seedling trays or small containers:
It is preferable to plant in this way to achieve the highest rates of growth and to provide the appropriate conditions for seed germination in a better way, and this also encourages the seeds to grow better.
- Prepare the soil mix and plant the seeds at a depth of 1 cm in the soil, where the seeds must be covered with soil for the success of the germination process (a mixture of 70% cocopeat – 10% vermiculite – 5% perlite – 15% plant compost is preferred). By adding an amount of organic fertilizer to the soil when planting Lettuce so that the roots grow better into the soil.
- Spray the soil and seeds with water using a sprayer and cover them with a plastic box or a plastic bag to speed up the germination process, do not forget to make holes in the plastic box so that the seeds can breathe. Germination takes about 3 to 15 days.
- Examine the seeds once every 3 days and make sure that the soil has sufficient moisture for the seeds until germination. After germination, the plastic bag is removed and the plant is placed in a sunny place, paying attention to the watering well.
- After 4 leaves appear, so that there are 3 real leaves, the plant can be moved to larger containers so that there is more space for the seeds to grow and mature.
It takes about 60 days for lettuce to reach maturity, and during this stage, lettuce needs some important factors affecting its growth.
Therefore, care must be taken to ensure that the soil is rich in various nutrients, such as plant compost.
Growing Little Gum lettuce in open fields (clay soil – sandy soil) and greenhouses
Little Gem lettuce is a compact, fast-growing variety of lettuce that is suitable for open-field cultivation. It can be grown in clay and sandy soil, but it is important to note that growth and watering requirements will vary depending on soil type.
Cultivating in clay soil
Clay soil is usually heavy and has poor drainage. This can make it difficult for Little Gum lettuce plants to get the oxygen they need to thrive.
To improve drainage in clay soil, you can add organic matter, such as compost or manure. You can also make raised lines or terraces to improve drainage and aeration.
When growing Little Gum lettuce in clay soil, it is important to leave a distance of at least 15 to 24 cm between plants. This will give the plants enough room to grow and develop.
Water the plants regularly, but be careful not to overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
Cultivating in sandy soil
Sandy soil is light and usually well-drained. This makes it ideal for growing Little Gum lettuce. However, sandy soil can also have low fertility.
To increase the fertility of sandy soil and increase the nutrients contained in it, you can add compost or manure. You can also use a balanced fertilizer to ensure your plants get the necessary nutrients.
When growing Little Gum lettuce in sandy soil, it is important to leave a distance of at least 10 to 16 cm between plants. This will give the plants enough room to grow and develop. Water the plants regularly, but be careful not to overwater, as this can lead to root rot.
Little Gem lettuce is a shallow-rooted plant, so watering regularly is important. The amount of water required will vary depending on soil type and climate. In general, Little Gum lettuce plants need about 60cm of water per week.
The best time to water Little Gem lettuce is in the morning. This will give the plants time to dry out before nightfall, which can help reduce the risk of pests and diseases.
Little Gum lettuce does not require a large amount of nutrients, but it can benefit from a balanced fertilizer application once or twice during the growing season. Therefore, sticky fertilizer is considered a good fertilizer for lettuce. It contains a high percentage of nitrogen, but it also contains phosphorus and potassium.
To compost Little Gum lettuce, follow these steps:
- Water the plants well before applying fertilizer.
- Apply fertilizer to the side of the plants, about 2 inches from the base of the plants.
- Water the plants again to help the fertilizer dissolve and be absorbed by the roots.
- You can use liquid fertilizer or granular fertilizer. If you use a liquid fertilizer, be sure to dilute it according to the label instructions. If you are using a granular fertilizer, distribute it evenly around the base of the plants and water it.
Cultivating in greenhouses
Little Gum lettuce can also be grown in a greenhouse. This can be a good option if you live in a climate with cold winters or short growing seasons.
To grow Little Gum lettuce in a greenhouse, you will need:
- Choose a greenhouse large enough to accommodate the plants.
- Fill the greenhouse with a well-draining soil mix.
- Plant Little Gum lettuce seeds or seedlings according to planting recommendations.
- Water the plants regularly but be careful not to overwater.
- Fertilize plants once or twice during the growing season.
- Monitor plants for pests and diseases and treat them when needed.
Some Plant Needs:
- Type: Leafy Green
- Pot size: 15 – 35 cm
- Maturity Days: 15 cm: 25 cm
- Planting: Feb – April / Sep – Nov
- Planting Depth: 1cm
- Plant Distances: 15 – 30 cm
- Preferred Soil when Planting: 70% Cocopeat 10% Vermiculite 5% Perlite 15% Plant Compost
- Germination period: 5 – 10 Days
- Preferred Soil when Transplanting: 60% Cocopeat 7% Vermiculite 3% Perlite 30% Plant Compost
- Light: Full Sun – Part Shade. Most varieties require a minimum of 2-3 hours daily and for winter variety (1-2 hours)
- PH: 6.0 – 7.0
- Electrical Conductivity (EC): 0.8 – 1.2 Ms.
- Total Dissolved Salts (TDS): 512 – 768 PPM
- Color: Green
More information about Little Gem lettuce:
Some information about Little Gem lettuce:
Little Gem lettuce is a hybrid type of lettuce that was developed in the 1970s by crossing romaine lettuce with butterhead lettuce. It was first introduced to the market in the 1980s and quickly became popular due to its small size, crisp texture, and sweet flavor. Little Gem lettuce is now grown all over the world and is available year-round.
The global market value of Little Gem lettuce is estimated to be over $1 billion. The United States and Europe are the largest consumers of Little Gem lettuce, accounting for over 70% of global consumption. Little Gem lettuce is also popular in Asia, Australia, and South America.
Little Gem lettuce is an important part of the global food supply. It is a common ingredient in salads, sandwiches, and wraps. Little Gem lettuce is also used in a variety of other culinary applications, such as soups, stews, and stir-fries.
In addition to its nutritional benefits, Little Gem lettuce is also an important crop for farmers and the food industry. It is a relatively easy crop to grow and is relatively resistant to pests and diseases. Little Gem lettuce is also a relatively short-season crop, meaning it can be grown multiple times per year.
Overall, Little Gem lettuce is a versatile and nutritious vegetable enjoyed by people all over the world. It is an important part of the global food supply and plays a significant role in the agricultural economy.
Little Gem lettuce is a hybrid type of lettuce known for its small size, crisp texture, and sweet flavor. It is also a good source of nutrients, including vitamins A and C, fiber, potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
One cup (75 grams) of shredded Little Gem lettuce contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: 15
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 0 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Vitamin A: 11% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Vitamin C: 10% of the Daily Value
- Potassium: 5% of the Daily Value
- Calcium: 4% of the Daily Value
- Magnesium: 4% of the Daily Value
Health benefits of Little Gem lettuce
Little Gem lettuce offers a variety of health benefits, including:
- Boosts the immune system: Vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system, and Little Gem lettuce is a good source of this nutrient. Vitamin C helps the body produce white blood cells that fight infection.
- Improves digestion: Fiber is essential for a healthy digestive system, and Little Gem lettuce is a good source of this nutrient. Fiber helps keep the digestive system moving and prevents constipation.
- Reduces the risk of chronic diseases: Little Gem lettuce is a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect the body from cell damage. Antioxidants can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Promotes bone and dental health: Calcium and magnesium are essential for strong bones and teeth, and Little Gem lettuce is a good source of these nutrients. Calcium helps build and maintain bone density, while magnesium helps with calcium absorption.
- Regulates blood pressure: Potassium is essential for regulating blood pressure, and Little Gem lettuce is a good source of this nutrient. Potassium helps balance the effects of sodium in the body, which can help prevent high blood pressure.
How to incorporate Little Gem lettuce into your diet
Little Gem lettuce is a versatile vegetable that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Add it to salads, sandwiches, and wraps.
- Grill or roast it as a delicious and nutritious side dish.
- Juice it with other fruits and vegetables for a refreshing and healthy drink.
- Use it as a garnish for soups, stews, and casseroles.
Little Gem lettuce is a great addition to any healthy diet. It is a nutritious and delicious vegetable that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
- Little Gem lettuce is a good source of vitamins A and C, which are important for vision, immune health, and skin health.
- Little Gem lettuce is a good source of fiber, which is important for digestive health.
- Little Gem lettuce is a good source of potassium, which is important for heart health.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.