Microgreens are plants at a very young age between 8 to 21 days, and their length ranges between 5 to 15 cm, depending on their type.
Inside the seeds are all the beneficial nutrients of the plant, but the human body cannot digest the seed itself.
Therefore, we put the seed, which contains the embryo, in suitable conditions to germinate, and the embryo begins to activate and transform the nutritional elements into another form that is easier for the humans to digest. Thus, all the nutritional elements of the seed are concentrated in the form of a small plant that we can harvest, eat and benefit from.
Research has shown that when equal amounts of microgreens and its counterpart of the large plant are compared for the same type of vegetable, the microgreens contain more nutrients, vitamins and salts as those found in its counterpart of the large plant, estimated at about 10 to 40 times.
The benefit of the microgreens are plenty according to their type:
- It has a high percentage of potassium, iron, copper and zinc and is rich in antioxidants and other minerals
- Strengthens the body’s immunity
- Broccoli treats stomach germs and reduces the risk of some cancers
- Red cabbage improves cholesterol and the heart functions.
- Quick to harvest
- You don’t need sunlight
- You don’t need any fertilizer
- Perfect replacement for large vegetables